
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
A long, long time ago - 5 years ago to be exact, it snowed down here in Texas. This was not just a little dusting of snow. Nope, this was the real thing. We got a couple inches of the white stuff, and we had enough snow to make a real, live snowman!
It was a Saturday morning. I remember clearly that the Prince (7 month old Baby Prince) was still not sleeping through the night. My first thought, as my husband gently shook me from my precious slumber was "It is SATURDAY. Why are you waking me up for SNOW?" I grew up in Iowa where snow is not exactly uncommon. It took a few minutes for my groggy mind to wrap itself around the fact that my kids had the chance to play in snow that day. I recovered, bundled up my 2 1/2 year old and my 7 month old and out we went with Daddy.
One big benefit of growing up in Iowa was learning the correct snowman building technique of "pack and roll". Our native Texan neighbors were making vain attempts to create big snowballs by merely packing snow into the ground. THAT is not the way to make a snowman, my friends. First you make a little snowball. Then, you put that snowball on the ground and roll. The snowball picks up snow as it goes and, before long, you have a snowball that is the envy of the neighborhood!
Here is Princess sitting on my masterpiece!
DadOf3 made a good middle for our snowman, and Princess and I made the small snowman head. Before long, our little snowman had been assembled and was ready to greet the neighborhood!
We had hopes of getting snow last week, but just like the 5 years that followed this fun day, the chance passed us by.

One big benefit of growing up in Iowa was learning the correct snowman building technique of "pack and roll". Our native Texan neighbors were making vain attempts to create big snowballs by merely packing snow into the ground. THAT is not the way to make a snowman, my friends. First you make a little snowball. Then, you put that snowball on the ground and roll. The snowball picks up snow as it goes and, before long, you have a snowball that is the envy of the neighborhood!Here is Princess sitting on my masterpiece!
DadOf3 made a good middle for our snowman, and Princess and I made the small snowman head. Before long, our little snowman had been assembled and was ready to greet the neighborhood!
We had hopes of getting snow last week, but just like the 5 years that followed this fun day, the chance passed us by.
But we will keep waiting and anticipating until the conditions are just right to make another Texas Snowman.























14 comments:
Well, here is wishing you have snow! :)
I have to keep these tips in mind. Hope to make one some day.
Happy Christmas!
That is crazy! Awesome, but crazy!
That's a great snowman! Isn't it funny that in "snowy cultures" we quickly learn how to make a huge snowball....and end up never forgetting? Gotta love the simple things!
I am not the biggest fan of snow. It's pretty and all, but that's about it (to me)
Those pictures are classic, I love them.
Love that snowman. Hope you get snow again.
Visiting from Photo Story Friday...
Thanks for sharing your snowball making techniques! And I hope you get some more Texas snow soon!
I bet that was a hooT!! We get snow (FAR TOO OFTEN) so the luster has worn off here. Can I send you some? PLEASE? :)
I love reading about people enjoying snow when it's such a novelty for them... Right now the snowbanks surrounding my drive-way are taller than I am and we have 2 more snowstorms forecast for the weekend. Maybe I should package some and send it your way. :)
That is a huge snowball! Growing up in OK, we didn't get much snow.
PS, I lived in TX last spring when it snowed near Austin. The kids LOVED it!
Thanks for visiting my photostory!
We rarely get good snowman building snow here. We're a lot more likely to get an ice storm!
Great pictures!
I wish we'd get some snow again! It was so weird when it snowed all the way down to Port Aransas (was that last year or the year before?) and that year it passed right over us and went south - ugh!
Great snowman and post!! Take care have a Happy Holidays - Kellan
I was totally in Houston when it snowed on Christmas Eve! It was so picturesque and perfect!
I live in Texas and we did not get any, I am so glad!! Snow is one thing I think looks pretty, but I sure hate to have it around. After living in the northeast all my life till 4 years ago, I have seen more than I want to see!
You did make a great snowman and everyone is having so much fun.
Post a Comment